To develop a general historical and practical foundation for exploring theatre. (1a)(4b)
To experience theatre performances digitally or locally
In this course, you will be required to watch the Super Bowl LII on NBC at 6:30 pm! Please add February 4th to your calendar.
You will also be required to watch the 90th Academy Awards on March 4th, 2018. Please mark your calendar for Sunday, March 4th, 2018. Time: 8:00 p.m. EST/5:00 p.m. PST via The ABC Television Network.
Please mark your calendars for Sunday February 4th and Sunday, March 4th, 2018.
In the interim, on Tuesday, January 23rd, you can view the 90th Academy Awards Oscar Categories nominations live!
The 90th Academy Awards® nominations in all 24 Oscar® categories will be announced in a two-part, live presentation on Tuesday, January 23, via global live stream on Oscar.com, Oscars.org, the Academy’s digital platforms, a satellite feed and local broadcasters. The announcement will combine live presentations from the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater, with pre-taped category introductions, which will only be featured in the first half of the announcement.
Please visit https://www.oscars.org/news/90th-oscars-nominations-announcement for more information.
In this Module, you will will have an opportunity to view a movie of your choice in a movie theatre of your choice!
Physically view a new film (in a movie theatre of your choice) between the dates of January 26nd - February 9th. Be sure to bring your Student ID and request a student discount!
Take a picture of your ticket stub clearly showing the movies you viewed and the date of attendance. Make certain the photo is clear and easy to read.
Finally, take a picture/selfie of you at the theatre. Taking a picture in the theatre lobby, or beside the advertising poster of the film you attended are good options.
Upload your Ticket Stub and Selfie via Blackboard, in the MODULE 1 Assignment Submission Folder.
1. Morehead Cinemas 6
The movie Cinema in the Morehead area.
2. AMC Theatres
Enter your zip code via the link below to find a theatre near you.
Although it may not be useful for you during this assignment, if you enjoy watching movies, MoviePass has a subscriptions service that will enable you to see a new 2D movies everyday, without no blackout dates for $9.95 a month.
Similar to the MoviePass Subscription Service, Professional Theaters offer Season Subscription packages to see their productions.
Some professional Theaters in our region include:
Other examples include:
Later in this course, you will be required to attend a Professional Live Theatre Performance. Please peruse some of the theatre websites above and discover several plays you may be interested in viewing.
In this course, you be required to attend Five Audience Experience Excursions. Please save the dates below.
2. A One-person Show WILLIAM WELLS BROWN: How I Got my Name @ 7:30 pm at Morehead State University in the LCL Theater (or a Guest Lector or live performance at an academic institution in your area.)- February 15th.
3. RABBIT HOLE at Morehead State University in the LCL Theater (or a live performance at an academic institution in your area.) - February 27th - March 4th
4. An Non-Traditional Audience Experience such as:
- A Comedy Show
- a sporting event such as a basketball game, hockey, or football game
- an engaged exploration such as a guided boat, bike, or walking tour
- A theatre, art, or dance workshop. Note: classes in which you are enrolled will not meet the assignment requirement.
- A Dance Concert such as SHEN YUN
- A Painting class exploration such as Painting with a Twist.
- Non-Traditional Performance shows such as Disney on Ice
- Site Specific Theatre Events
- A Zoo
- A Museum
- Theme Parks such as Disney World, Disney Land, King's Island, etc.
* This is not an all inclusive list. Examples are provided to jumpstart your creativity! Explore events in your region!
5. LITTLE SHOP at Morehead State University in the LCL –April 17th–April 22nd
Can I bring a friend with me?
Yes. Attendance to events at Morehead State University is free for Morehead students. For RABBIT HOLE, guest may enter the theater by purchasing a ticket. Note: The William Wells Brown event is free and open to the public.
Congratulations on completing MODULE 1.
1. After attending your selected movie at the theatre, please upload your Ticket Stub and Selfie via Blackboard.
2. Add February 4th to your calendar. ~Watch the Super Bowl LII on NBC 6:30 pm~
3. Add February 15th to your calendar.
Attend a one-person show entitled WILLIAM WELLS BROWN: How I Got my Name @ 7:30 pm at Morehead State University in the LCL Theater (or a Guest Lector or live performance at an academic institution in your area.)- February 15th.
3. Select two performance dates from below and add it to your calendar.
- RABBIT HOLE at Morehead State University in the LCL Theater (or a live performance at an academic institution in your area.) - February 27th - March 4th
- LITTLE SHOP at Morehead State University in the LCL –April 17th–April 22nd
4. Add Sunday, March 4th, 2018 to your calendar. Time: 8:00 p.m. EST/5:00 p.m. PST via The ABC Television Network. Note: You will be required to watch the 90th Academy Awards.